Path To Membership
Welcome to the Cascade Unitarian Universalist Fellowship! We are thrilled that you are exploring membership as part of our community.
Under normal circumstances, we would gather together to learn about this faith, this congregation, and each other. In order to stay safe, we are going to give you most of the content online, for you to explore on your own time. The learning plan is below.
On your own, you will learn:
- UU identity, history, theology, and structure.
In the online session, we will:
- Reflect on your UU theology and journey
- How to get involved in the church and the programs we offer.
- Ask and answer questions you have.
Once you have completed the self-study materials, please schedule an online session with our interim minister, Rev. Elizabeth Sollie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We begin with “What is Unitarian Universalism?”
Please watch/read, in order: (total watch time: 48 minutes)
- We are Unitarian Universalists. This is a three minute quick introduction, you may have already watched on our website: https://vimeo.com/344862790.
- A History of Unitarianism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjMLoUQLNQ8 (This is 7 minutes; by Rev. Sean Neil-Barron)
- A History of Universalism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS46egsVxQg&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3UFFdtAeFlwMwp4fv0MEe0EvBrvWV2L-GtqY__GSMmtW-spMO7p3wt9xA (Five minutes by Rev. Sean Neil-Barron).
- What is a Unitarian Universalist – Testimonies (2 minutes): https://blog.onbeing.org/post/823219123/what-is-a-unitarian-universalist-nancy-rosenbaum
- Sermon on Liberation and Love by Rev. Yadenee Hailu (11 minutes). Listen for her description of “how” we live our faith and reflect on the “how” of your commitments to love and liberation. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=534017220730398
- UU theology video by Rev. Matthew Johnson: (12 minutes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfuk7FMlWNg
- After you’ve watched Matthew’s Theology video, watch this video of “Holy Now” by Peter Mayer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiypaURysz4. (4 minutes)
- And then also watch this video of “We Are. . .” by Yseye Barnwell. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3208724352521328 (Four minutes)
- At the online zoom session, we’ll ask you to share how the lyrics of the songs “Holy Now” and/or “We Are . . .”, (both by Unitarian Universalist composers) reflect the theology you’ve learned about – and how they speak to you.
- Also, please read about the flaming chalice: https://www.uua.org/beliefs/who-we-are/chalice/flaming-chalice and explore the links on this page: https://www.uua.org/beliefs/what-we-believe/beliefs
Then we turn to what it means to be part of a local congregation – and an international movement. (total watch time: 11 minutes)
- What does it mean to be a member? (5 minutes) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tohRlWzguQI&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1hv1cngasWHuKTKxc6Tv2r9BDT6GIut7c9Y1WlUNFfU10pCxt4t0eA76U
- What is the UUA? (3 minutes) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-eLbsRBVoU&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3oEOXHMGkCGEVXvX2kk4fnp9KZ8Yzca_T8pFxPNvWvk6CFKP8abQEg8rI
- Then, also watch this short film (3 minutes) about international Unitarian Universalism: https://vimeo.com/340266602#at=67